As the world slowly emerges from COVID-19 lockdowns, there is no better time to pack up your backpack, hit the trails, and experience nature in its purest form. And, what is more important than a reliable backpacking tent to keep you comfortable and safe during your adventures?
Whether you are trying to get out on a multi-day hike or just a short camping trip, the choice of a well-designed and durable backpacking tent will make all the difference.
We’ve done the research for you and rounded up the best backpacking tents of the year to help you make an informed buying decision. Here are our top picks:
1. Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2 – This ultralight backpacking tent from Big Agnes ticks all the boxes. Weighing in at just over 2 lbs, it is extremely lightweight, making it ideal for backpackers looking to keep their packs as light as possible. It also boasts a spacious interior, with ample room for two people and their gear.
2. Nemo Hornet Elite Ultralight – Another ultralight tent that is perfect for minimalist backpackers, the Nemo Hornet Elite is packed with features to make your camping trip as comfortable as possible. It sets up quickly and has a waterproof and breathable fly to keep you dry in wet weather.
3. MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2 – This two-person tent from MSR is a classic for good reason. It is lightweight, spacious, and easy to set up, making it perfect for backpackers. It also features two large vestibules for gear storage and ventilation.
4. REI Co-op Quarter Dome SL 2 – This is a great option for backpackers looking for a reliable and affordable tent. It is easy to set up, has plenty of interior space, and has a waterproof rainfly to keep you dry in wet weather.
5. TarpTent Double Rainbow – This minimalist tent from TarpTent is perfect for backpackers looking for a lightweight and easy-to-setup option. It is a two-person tent with a waterproof rainfly and a spacious interior.
6. Black Diamond Beta Light – This ultralight tent from Black Diamond is designed for minimalistic backpackers who don’t mind sacrificing some amenities in exchange for its low weight. It is a simple structure (essentially just a tarp) designed for use with trekking poles.
7. Hilleberg Nallo 2 – This two-person tent from Hilleberg is a top-of-the-line option for backpackers who prioritize durability and reliability. It features high-quality materials and construction, making it a great choice for extended trips and rough conditions.
When selecting the right backpacking tent for your next adventure, it is important to consider factors such as the number of people who will be using it, the length of your trip, and the weather conditions you will likely encounter. This list should give you a good starting point to help you make a decision. Once you have made your selection, get out there and start experiencing the outdoors!